Information for medical students from foreign universities
Dear medical students,
we are an academic teaching hospital of the University Hospital Jena. We offer the opportunity to complete a clinical internship at our hospital.
Studenten Ausbildung (Foto: AdobeStock)
With around 800 full inpatient beds and care places in the community psychiatric area, Südharz Klinikum Nordhausen gGmbH is the largest hospital in northern Thuringia. Every year, around 1,900 employees provide full and partial inpatient care for approximately 28,000 patients. Our qualified staff and excellent technical equipment are the prerequisite for supraregional medicalcareatthehighestlevelandthebasisfor extensive training and further education. In addition to the 26 specialist disciplines, various competence centres, institutes and functional areas work under the roof of the hospital. In addition, a rescue helicopter is stationed at our hospital.
Departments and facilities
- Laboratory diagnostics, microbiology, transfusion medicine with own blood donation center
Competence Centers for interdisciplinary patient care
- Breast Center
- Network intestinal and pancreatic surgery
- Endoprosthetics Center (EPZ)
- Interdisciplinary continence and pelvic floor Center
- Osteology Center
- Perinatal Center
- Center for rehabilitation and physiotherapy
- Supraregional trauma Center
- Tumor Center
- Center for ear, nose and throat tumours
- Center for lung tumours
- Central surgery with hybrid surgery
Possible areas of training
The clinical internship can be carried out in all bed-managing clinics of the hospital:
- General and Visceral Surgery
- Anaesthesia and operative Intensive Care
- Dermatology and allergology
- Vascular Surgery
- Gynaecology and obstetrics
- Internal Medicine I (Cardiology and Internal Intensive Care)
- Internal Medicine II (General Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology, Nephrology, Diabetology, Metabolic Diseases, Hypertensiology and Rheumatology)
- Internal Medicine III (Haematology, Oncology and Haemostaseology)
- Paediatricsandadolescent medicine
- Neurology interdisciplinary
- Palliative medicine
- Psychiatry, psychotherapy and psychosomatics
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics Childhood and Adolescence
- Radiation oncology/radiation therapy
- Thoracic surgery/Pneumology
- Orthopaedics, trauma and reconstructive surgery
- Central emergency room with Short Care Unit
- Participation in rounds
- Mentor support
- Participation in seminars is possible
- Teaching rounds
In Surgery and Internal Medicine a rotation between different departments is possible.
What else can we offer
View into the medical library (Foto: SHK)
- Medical library with more than 10,000 books, over 100 current journals, internet workstations and online library.
- Free access to the AMBOSS learning and knowledge platform.
- Language certificate B2.
- Vaccination against hepatitis B and measles.
- Internship duration minimum 1 month and maximum 3 months.
Hospital staff dormitory (Foto: SHK)
- Accommodation on the clinic premises possible.
- Uniform is provided.
- Time recording via the clinic system.
- Free meals in the canteen or cafeteria.
Further detailed information and contact addresses and phone numbers are available on our website here
If desired, students can get to know the respective clinic in advance through a short observation.
Nordhausen and surroundings
View of Nordhausen (Foto: SHK)
Nordhausen is the northernmost district town in Thuringia, conveniently located on the A 38 motor- way and easily accessible via the A 4, A 17, A 7 and A 9 motorways. You can also reach Nordhausen easily by train.
The nearest airports are in:
- Erfurt/Weimar 80 km, Leipzig 130 km
- Hannover 160 km,
- Frankfurt, Dortmund, Berlin 280 km
- Düsseldorf 330 km
The above-thousand-year-old town with around 42,000 inhabitants is the Thuringian gateway to the Harz Mountains. It offers a wide range of sports, art and culture. Various bars, restaurants, sports clubs, fitness center, the bathhouse, the University with student club, the theater, the cinema and various museums ensure a variety of cultural and leisure activities.
You can find out more on the city‘s website at www.nordhausen.de.
A sufficient number of parking spaces are available directly on the clinic premises.
Emergencies at any time via the Central Emergency Department of the Südharz Klinikum on Level 1.
All genders are always addressed in this flyer. For reasons of readability, however, we do not explicity mention all forms in some places.
03631/ 41-21 39
03631/ 41-22 39
Important phone numbers
Central / Service
hospital campus (Foto: SHK)
A look into the cardiac catheterization laboratory (Foto: SHK)
Surgical intervention (Foto: SHK)
Weekly interdiciplinary tumor conference (Foto: SHK)